How to File a Car Accident Claim with Erie Insurance
When you’ve been in a car accident, it is important to file a claim with the insurance company in a timely fashion that is accurate and provides the key information the insurance company needs to investigate and process your claim. If your claim is with Erie Insurance, the following steps will help you navigate the claims process more easily after experiencing a car accident in Dayton, OH.
Immediately After the Accident
The most important concern in the minutes after a car accident is to assess whether you or anyone else has been injured. If so, call 911 to get immediate medical attention. Even if no one is injured, it is important to call the police and get them to come to the scene. It’s crucial to give the officer only the facts you know. If you are unsure of an answer, simply say you don’t know.
If you are able, and it is safe to do so, take pictures of every vehicle involved in the accident, the accident scene, and the area around it. Document what happened in writing while the details are clear in your mind.
Gather Your Information
When you begin the process of filing a claim with Erie Insurance, they will need certain information from you. The police on the scene should give you a copy of the accident report, which will have most of the information you need.
The information to gather for filing your claim is:
- Your insurance policy number.
- Location of the accident. Include nearest cross streets and the block the accident occurred in, if possible.
- Date and time of the accident.
- The names of the driver and passengers in your car.
- The name and address of the driver of the other car as well as their driver’s license number.
- The other driver’s insurance company and policy number.
- The make and model of each vehicle in the accident, the color of the vehicles and license plate numbers.
- The names, addresses, and phone numbers of any witnesses to the accident.
- Any other factual information that may be relevant to the claim.
- Contact a Dayton car accident attorney
Call the Insurance Company
With this information at hand, you are ready to call the insurance company. You should call Erie Insurance as soon as possible after your accident. Waiting too long to file the claim could result in your claim being denied or delayed. While there may be some extenuating circumstances if you have been incapacitated by injury, it is always best to start the claims process as soon as possible.
The number to call to file your claim with Erie Insurance is on your proof of insurance card that you should have in your vehicle. You can call (800) 367-3743 to start this process. You can also contact your local Erie insurance agent to begin the process of filing the claim.
Contact The Brannon Law Firm
Whether your accident was large or small, filing an insurance claim helps protect your interests and is a simple way to make sure that you are not held personally liable for any damage claims. After any accident in Ohio, it’s wise to contact a reliable Dayton personal injury lawyer to advise you on the claims process.